The Mogford Prize for Food & Drink Writing
Food and drink must be at the heart of the winning tale. Your short story could, for instance, be about crime or intrigue; about a chance meeting over a drink; a life-changing conversation over dinner; or perhaps the details of a relationship explored through food or drink.
Along with Jeremy Mogford and his wife, Hilary, we’re very pleased to announce our two other judges for the 2018 Mogford Prize. They are well-known Anglo-American author, Bill Bryson, and famous English television cook, Lorraine Pascale.
Once you have read our terms & conditions, to enter your story click the ‘pay to enter’ button and follow the checkout process…Click here for the full competition terms & conditions >
* Your short story should have a maximum of 2,500 words. There is no minimum and the title is not included in the word count.
* Entries for the 2018 Mogford Prize were accepted from 26th October 2017.
* The Closing Date is 3rd January 2018 (12 noon, GMT).
* The Long List of 25 will be announced on this website by 21 February 2018.
* The 2018 Mogford Prize Party, when the winner will be announced, will be held on Wednesday 21st March 2018.
Once you have read our terms & conditions, to enter your story click the ‘pay to enter’ button and follow the checkout process…
Nicky’s story is about a determined Madame de Roubigné, who makes plans to murder her twelve-year-old daughter by creating deliciously tempting treats to fill a picnic basket that her child then carries into the forest to meet her fate. It is a beautifully written fable with a twist in the tail.
The judges for the 2017 prize were Jeremy and Hilary Mogford, the celebrated author Philip Pullman, and the acclaimed cookery writer and television presenter Mary Berry. Besides Nicky Winder, the short list featured three other writers from the UK: Ian Shine, Claire Bullen, and Johnny Reed.