2018 Mogford Short Story Terms And Conditions
Food and/or drink must be at the heart of the tale. The short story (no poems) could, for instance, be about crime or intrigue; about a chance meeting over a drink; a life-changing conversation over dinner; or perhaps the details of a relationship explored through food or drink. We are looking for a short story that our hotel guests would enjoy reading while staying in one of our hotels.
* The short story should have a maximum of 2,500 words. There is no minimum and the title is not included in the word count.
* Entries for the 2018 Mogford Prize were accepted from 26th October 2017.
* The Closing Date is 3rd January 2018 (12 noon, GMT).
* The Long List of 25 will be announced on the Mogford Prize website by 21 February 2018.
* The 2018 Mogford Prize Party will be held on Wednesday, 21st March 2018.
We recommend you read our past winning stories before entering.
* The prize is open to any nationality provided the entrant is over the age of 18 years at the time of the closing date.
* Entries must be submitted in English.
* Entries must be the sole work of the entrant.
* Entries must never have been published, self-published, broadcast or published on any website, blog or online forum.
* £10 for each submitted short story.
* Payment is via an online submission form.
* Entries must be in English, saved in Microsoft Word format, and submitted via our online form on this website.
* Short stories need to double-spaced and the word-count noted at top of the first page.
* The short story must have no name or address; personal details should only be entered on the form.
* Once a story has been submitted, we do not accept amendments or revised versions so please consider carefully before submitting your story.
* The results of the 2018 Mogford Prize will be announced at the Mogford Prize Party on Wednesday 21st March 2018 and on this website the day afterwards.
* Due to the volume of entries, we cannot contact entrants who are not long- or short- listed. If you do not hear from us by 21st February 2018, it means that your entry has not been selected for this year’s competition.
* The Long List of 25 will be contacted by 21st February 2018.
* The Short List of 4 will be contacted by 1st March 2018.
* The winning entry will not be announced until the Mogford Party on Wednesday, 21st March 2018.
* The 4 short-listed entrants will be invited as Jeremy Mogford’s guests to the Mogford Party on Wednesday 21st March 2018 and hosted for the night in one of the Mogford hotels in Oxford. In addition, the short-listed candidates will attend a select dinner. All travel expenses will be met by Jeremy Mogford, including, where necessary, economy flights.
* Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but the Mogford Prize will have unrestricted right to publish the winner and short-listed stories in any format, including on the Mogford websites and as a booklet to be placed in each of the Mogford hotel rooms.
* Along with Jeremy and Hilary Mogford there are two other judges for the 2018 Mogford Prize. They are well-known Anglo-American author, Bill Bryson, and famous English television cook, Lorraine Pascale.
* The judges are unable to comment on individual entries.
* The judges’ decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
* The Mogford Prize reserves the right to change the panel of judges without notice.
* The winning entry will receive £10,000 and an inscribed prize.
* The winning entry will be read by an actor and uploaded to the StoryPlayer website
* The three runner-up entrants will received £250 each.
* All shortlisted stories will be published on the Mogford Ltd. websites and will remain in the public domain for one year until the announcement of the 2019 Mogford Prize winning entry. The winning entry will remain on the Mogford Ltd. websites indefinitely.
The Mogford Prize reserves the right to amend these rules if deemed necessary. Any changes will be posted on this website.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRY IMPLIES ACCEPTANCE OF ALL THESE RULES
Enter your short story here…